Best Gun Safe Reviews 2018
Owning a gun comes with its precautions. One of which is buying a good gun safe When you want to buy a gun safe, the first step is to ask yourself questions like “what do you want to protect, what is it worth, how much space do you need.” the best gun safes would provide a mixture of all these features.
Several states have passed laws which makes it compulsory for a gun owner to keep gun safe. If you fall into one of those states, then gun safe is a necessity for you. Instead of buying a simple safe, you can purchase a safe with much more features like waterproof, fire resistance and many more.
Gun safes are not only for weapons, you can keep jewelry, important article, media files and anything which you want to keep safe. There are some insurance companies which offer a discount to gun owner if he or she has a gun safe. As with every other product on the market, there are many options that can get you overwhelmed. And to save yourself from spending your money on something stupid, we’ve curated a list of the top 10 best gun safes which you can compare and choose according to your personal needs.
recommended read: Best Electronic Drum Sets
Best Gun Safe – Buying guide
When you are going to buy a gun safe there are numerous factors to consider to make sure you get the best gun safe that suits your needs. The first thing to put under consideration is size of the safe. When it comes to gun safes, bigger is better. Many people make a mistake of buying a safe as large as they need. Sooner or later your gun collection is going to increase and this is when you would face a problem if the safe does not hold extra space. You surely do not want your guns to get scratched while simply removing them from the safe. Some people are concerned about its weight, that should not be a problem when you are using right instruments to move it around. And if you are trying to safe few bucks, do not do that because the valuables you will be keeping in the safe will be of much more worth.
The second thing to worry about is the locking mechanism. There are usually 5 types of locks in gun safes.
3.EMP (Electro-magnetic Pulse)
It purely depends upon one’s preference when choosing a lock. If you want to have a lock which is most reliable then you should go for mechanical locks. Mechanical lock is the standard and the most dependable. This type of lock always works, but is time consuming. EMP and electronic and biometric locks gives you a quick access, but quickest of them all is electronic lock. The lock type which you never want to choose is key lock because it is the easiest lock to break.
Next thing to focus on is bolts, bolts come in two different types:
It would be incorrect to say that live bolts are better than dead bolts. Higher end safes usually tend to have live bolts. Quantity and thickness of the bolts matter a lot. There should be at least four deadbolts on the hinge side of the door.
The next thing to choose is hinges style, internal or external. Some people believe that external hinges are less secure than internal hinges, it is a moot point. The only thing which you should be concerned when choosing hinges style is the location where you are going to keep your safe because external hinges lets you open the door 180 degrees. On the other hand, internal hinges would only allow you to open door 90 degrees.
Fire rating is one of the most important factors to consider in this list. A safe which has fire protection would save your guns, ammunition and other valuable in an event of fire. The standard in fire rating is 1200 Fahrenheit degrees for 30 minutes. To be on a safe side a safe must have fire rating of 1500 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 60 minutes.
Last but not the least, the gauge of the steel from which door and body is composed of is the most important thing to consider when buying a safe. There are some safes which seem to be solid but are built of poor steel and people come to know about it when it is too late. You should never compromise on the quality of steel. Most preferred steel gauge is 7 to 10-gauge steel. 11 to 14-gauge steel also works fine, but you should not go for steel lower than 14.
Now you are good to go, to choose a quality gun safe for yourself which would not only protect your valuables from burglars but also from natural disasters. For more information you can visit this site.
Steelwater extreme duty 39 long gun protection 120 minutes AMHD 593924-BLK:
To save you some time, we are beginning our list with the Steelwater extreme duty safe which offers a capacity to store twenty-four to thirty guns and will confront fire at temperatures up to 1875 degrees Fahrenheit for about 120 minutes. Inside the safe a grey carpet is used so that your guns and valuables do not get damaged by getting in contact with solid steel. It is furnished with racks in which you may store your smaller items like handguns, costly articles, and ammunitions. The racks can be reorganized, so if your gun collection increases you can remove the shelves to create more space. This gun safe has 7 adjustable shelves, one full length shelf and six small shelves. To keep the safe dry and you tension free, this safe includes a free silica gel and a rechargeable dehumidifier. There are automatic LED lights, which lights up when safe door is opened.
1. It is constructed of 9-gauge steel.
2. 120 minutes of fire protection.
3. Exceeds California Department of Justice regulatory standards for residential security containers.
4. It has gear driven lock and bolt system which adds more strength against prying, punching and drill attacks.
5. It has 3 110 volts A/C outlets along with the 2 USB charging ports.
6. There is a seal on the back of the door which is heat sensitive and it will secure the door in case if fire breaks out. It will keep out fire, water and smoke as well.
7. There is a hard drill and ballistic resistant plate which protects dial, re-locker, gear drive and linkages.
8. Even if the burglar removes the lock, the safe is equipped with spring-loaded re-locking bolts.
9. Seven removable shelves, one full length and six small shelves. Six small shelves can be used on either side of the safe.
10. Free 450 grams of silica gel rechargeable dehumidifier box.
11. Lastly, you can anchor the safe to the floor, as there are four pre-drilled holes on the back.
1. Heavy to move around
2. Steelwater or a qualified technician has to set the combination. If you change the combination the warranty will be voided.
Steelwater Extreme Duty 22 Long Gun Fire Protection for 120 Minutes AMHD593024-blk:
The second product on the list is also steelwater’s extreme duty safe. The only difference between the previous product(593924-BLK) and this one is that it stores fourteen to eighteen guns which is relatively smaller in capacity, all other specifications are exactly the same. As it offers lesser space, the price is also low. There are only four shelves which you can organize, one full length and three small shelves which can only be used on the right side.
1. 9-gauge steel composition.
2. Fire protection of 120 minutes.
3. Exceeds California Department of Justice regulatory standards for gun safes.
4. Bolt system and gear driven lock gives it additional protection against punching and drilling attacks
5. It has 3 110 volts A/C outlets along with the 2 USB charging ports.
6. Expandable door seal which expands up to 8 times of its original size to size water and smoke out.
7. Dial, re-locker, gear drive and linkages are protected by a very hard plate which is both drill and ballistic resistant.
8. Spring loaded re-locking system.
9. Even if the burglar removes the lock, the safe is equipped with spring-loaded re-locking bolts.
10. It also includes dry pack of 450 grams of silica gel rechargeable dehumidifier box.
11. Free 450 grams of silica gel rechargeable dehumidifier.
12. Lastly, you can anchor the safe to the floor, as there are four pre-drilled holes on the back.
1. When racks are in place the space in safe is limited.
2. In case you change the combination of the lock, the warranty will be voided.
Stack-On A-64-MB-E-S-72 Armorguard 72″ TALL, 64-Gun Safe with Electronic Lock, Matte Black:
The third safe on the list is Stack-On A-64-MB-E-S-72 Armorguard 72”. Its interior capacity is of 64 guns. It has full panel door storage. A fire rating of 1400 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Large live action locking bolts and a convertible interior which allows you to outfit the interior safe anyway you want with shelves in entire safe, guns on one side and shelves on the other or all guns.
1. It has electronic keypad which allows quick access.
2. Large live action locking bolts.
3. It is extra tall, 72” safe, with more storage space.
4. Backup key if you forget the combination.
1. Safe is not water proof.
2. 30 minutes of fire protection.
NEW and IMPROVED Steelwater Heavy Duty 22 Long Gun Fire Protection for 60 Minutes AMLD593024-blk:
Heavy duty safes are the second best gun safe product in quality by Steelwater. This gun safe model allows you to keep fourteen to eighteen long guns in it. This safe will guard your guns and all other valuables against fire up to 1875 degrees Fahrenheit for 60 minutes. A smooth carpet is used inside the safe, so that your valuables do not get a single scratch, when they are kept in it. There is a strong drill and ballistic resistant plate which gives extra strength to dial, re-locker, gear drive and linkages. It also has heat activated expandable door seal, it is designed to lock out water and smoke. This door seal can enlarge up to 8 times of its size in the event of fire. It has 4 removable shelves, which can be removed in order to create more space.
1. 60 minutes of fire rating.
2. It has 3 110 volts A/C outlets along with the 2 USB charging ports.
3. Large hard drill and ballistic resistant plate which would protect dial, re-locker, gear drive and linkages.
4. Ballistic and drill resistant hard plate protects dial, re-locker, gear drive and linkages.
5. Expandable door seal.
6. Door organizer kit included
7. Gear drive linkage system.
8. Spring loaded re-locking system.
9. Pre-drilled holes, if you want to install the safe on the floor which give it more security.
10. Exceeds Californian Department of Justice regulatory standards for residential security containers.
11. It includes free dry pack of 450 grams of silica gel rechargeable dehumidifier box.
1. The space is quite limited
Steelwater Heavy Duty 20 Long Gun Fire Protection for 45 Minutes AMSW592818-blk:
This model is also a Steelwater heavy duty safe like the previous model (AMLD593024). This model has fire rating of 1550 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes. It offers a unique feature of EMP protected digital or mechanical lock including double bitted emergency bypass key so you practically will never be locked out of your safe. The average recommended space is of twelve to sixteen guns. The grey carpet in its interior protects weapon and valuables from getting damaged. Digital lock, re-locker, gear drive and linkages are guarded by drill and ballistic resistant hard plate. This safe comes in with heat activated door seal which can expand up to 8 times of its size and stops waters and smoke from entering into the safe. It has 4 removable shelves (1 full length and 3 small shelves) removable shelves which allows you to organize your safe as you like.
1. EMP protected digital lock including emergency bypass key.
2. Exceeds Californian Department of Justice regulatory standards for residential security containers.
3. Expandable door seal.
4. Spring loaded re-locking system.
5. Includes a free dry pack of 200 grams of silica gel rechargeable dehumidifier box.
6. Vulnerable areas like dial, re-locker, gear drive and linkages are protected by drill/ballistic resistant plate.
7. Pre-drilled anchor holes to provide more security if installed on floor.
1. 45 minutes of fire protection.
2. No A/C outlets and USB outlets.
Mesa Safe MBF3820C All Steel Burglary and Fire Safe with Combination Lock, 6.4-Cubic Feet, Hammered Grey:
Mesa safe is another more reputable brand in the industry. The MBF series not just ensures to protect handguns and ammunition but also your documents and valuables. This safe is built of strong steel and has fire rating of 1830 degrees Fahrenheit for about 2 hours. It has a heat activated seal which protects your stuff in an event of fire. This safe has a punch activated locking system and its lock is protected by hard drill resistant plate. It also has 2 removable shelves. The combination lock does hold a U.L rating, not the safe itself.
1. 2 story impact rating, factory tested
2. 4 pre-drilled anchor holes
3. Light weight
1. The safe is not U.L listed.
NEW and IMPROVED Steelwater Standard Duty 16 Long Gun Fire Protection for 60 Minutes AMEGS592216-BLK:
This is a standard duty model of steelwater, which is built of lower quality of steel as compared to extreme or heavy duty gun safes offered by steelwater. This safe gives you fire rating of 1875 degrees Fahrenheit for 60 minutes. It has average space of eight to ten guns. There is hard ballistic and drill resistant plate which guards the lock from being drilled or manipulated. The inside of the safe is fully carpeted to avoid any resistance between your valuables and steel. This safe features 4 removable or adjustable shelves which you can remove if want to create more space for your long guns. keeping dry atmosphere is critical for guns and every other valuable kept in it. With the 200 grams of free silica gel pack you would now be able to keep the inside of the safe dry as well as not stress any longer over the issues of the seized guns. This safe comes in with electronic lock which helps you to access the safe quicker, including an emergency bypass key which ensures that you will never be locked out of the safe in case anything goes wrong. This lock is reprogrammable so do not have to go or call a locksmith every time you want to change the security code.
1. 60 minutes of fire protection.
2. EMP protected mechanical/digital lock.
3. Spring loaded relocking system.
4. Drill and ballistic plate guards dial, re-locker, gear drive and linkages.
5. Free door organizer.
7. The safe comes with the high security bypass key.
8. Comes with a dry pack of 200 grams of silica gel rechargeable dehumidifying box
1. Having extreme or heavy duty gun safe might be better.
2. 14-gauge steel door and body.
AmazonBasics Security Safe – 1.2-Cubic Feet:
Sold only by the Amazon, the AmazonBasics Security Safe 1.2 Cubic Feet is the awesome minimal cost answer for securing the handguns. The safe is composed with the plentiful space that pleasantly suits each of your small assets and takes into account a decent association.
With regards to security, it includes a steel body which is difficult to get through. There is an electronic keypad with the backup in case there is any power misfortune. Other than that, it is essential to bring up that the inside is very much covered with a scratch safe material.
AmazonBasics Safe is outlined with the covered pivots that make the steel entryway harder to force open. It has a removable inside rack that again includes space for more ammunition and other individual resources.
1. The safe has a steel development making it difficult to penetrate through.
2. The electronic locking instrument gives a snappy and solid access.
3. The covered pivots give added security.
4. The removable rack is another additional feature that allows you to create more space if you want.
1. The keypad has no backlight making it hard for night access.
2. Safe does not protect your valuable against fire and water.
Sentry Safe Pistol Safe, Quick Access Gun Safe with LED Interior Lights, Two Pistol Capacity, QAP2EL:
Sentry Safe producer is among the best organizations that is delivering brilliant security safes which suit the requirements with regards to the guns and that’s why it on our list of best gun safes.
It is a little box, however fit for putting away a full size self-loader hand gun. As per the analysts it’s truly outstanding in the class of biometric gun safes. Notwithstanding utilizing a unique finger impression to get the entrance, the safe enables you to program the combination code utilizing the four buttons. This altogether expands the unwavering quality.
In the event of entering a code the lid is opened consequently with the whisper-calm gas strut. all the things are done rapidly and with only one hand, which could demonstrate helpful in the crisis circumstances. Guarantee perceivability of the gun stockpiling in dark with the electronic, high-force LED light. In the event of a robbery, the pry-safe outline of Sentry Safe builds odds of keeping the gun secured.
1. Audible Digital keypads.
2. The compression gas strut gives a silent and quick access to safe.
3. Tough construction using the high quality steel.
4. Pre-drilled holes for floor or wall mounting.
1. Unavailability of the AC power usage.
2. Shorter battery life.
GunVault SV500 – SpeedVault Handgun Safe:
The SV500 SpeedVault is a fast access safe intended to accommodate a solitary handgun. The maker kept it as little as could be allowed while keeping up good level of the security. You don’t need to scan for any key and you can retrieve the gun in less than 3 seconds.
The SV500 is manufactured using the strong 18-gauge steel as well as feels very powerful when legitimately mounted on the wall. You might, however, mount it under the table or to the side of the bed in the event that you lean toward. The mounting section has got the openings on the top along with on the sides enabling you to pick the best mounting place. The safe itself has openings on its back, left and right sides. The main prerequisite is to keep the safe vertically as well as keep enough room for the door to completely open.
1. Robust and cautious development.
2. Extremely quick opening component.
3. One-hand get to (auto-opening)
4. Many mounting alternatives.
1. No low battery cautioning ahead of time.
2. The keypad has no back-light.
These were some of the best gun safes in the market. Even though we have provided top 10 list, we are making your search easier by providing the top 3 picks. If you are not short on budget, then Steelwater’s extreme duty 39 long guns can prove to be the best bang of the buck because it is composed of 9-gauge steel which is best gauge you can get in gun safes along with 2 hours of fire protection. If you are willing to spend less than 1500 dollars, then Steelwater heavy duty 20 long guns is perfect for you because if offers you quite a good space with the strength of 12-gauge steel. The Amazon Basics Security safe is a good option for those on a budget. The safe is primarily designed for hand guns and has less storage. It is also a top seller on amazon at the time of this review.